Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Cold War America, Day 6 - Class Recap

This is me hugging my mom after she won an election for Portland City Council in 2008. My mom is my role model, for sure. She not only provided for us every day, but she was (and is) very politically active! She used to be a nurse every other weekend, as well!

Hi everyone,

The start of a new week! Did you know that there are only 11 A days left before finals? I feel a bit overwhelmed with how much I want to cover in that time! Here's what happened today:

Learning Targets:
SS.HS.KN.ALT.09: I can identify how technological knowledge and innovation shapes a society, place, or region.
SS.HS.KN.ALT.17: I can explain the process of change and continuity in a society, place or region.
SS.HS.KN.ALT.23: I can describe the influences, impacts and resolutions of historical conflicts.

Soundtrack: “I've Got You Under My Skin" by Frank Sinatra. Selected because it is from the 1950s (1956). Lyrics here.

AGENDA 5/6/14:
News Brief
Women of the 1950s
Housewives
LIFE Magazines

Homework: Read the blog! Next news brief: Sokong.

News Brief: Kayla had the news brief today and selected this story to talk about: OregonLive.com - Cover Oregon health insurance exchange's ad man responds to John Oliver riff. I talked a bit about this. Basically, people having health insurance and being able to get help when they are sick or hurt is a good thing. Paying hundreds of millions of dollars for a website that does not function, with many more millions needed to fix the problem is a bad thing. Thanks, Kayla!

Women of the 1950s: Today was chiefly concerned with the role of women in the United States during the 1950s. I began by asking for some brainstorming on two questions: What do you know about women in the 1950s? How does that role impact us today?

During the results of that, I mentioned that the sizes of mirrors in bathrooms tend to be different for women (larger/full body) vs. men (smaller/just face). Why is that?

Next, I passed out a class set of these documents (pages 3-7) to read over:


The general questions that I wanted everyone to answer (just to ensure that you were getting the point of the readings) were:

1. Were housewives happy with their lives?
2. Were women in the 1950s just staying at home?
3. Documents A and B say women were staying at home; but Documents C and D say that women were politically involved and even working. Who should we believe?
4. Do you think African American, Latino, Asian American, and other women of color had similar experiences to those depicted in these documents?

We had a brief class discussion about this, then moved on.

Housewives: This was a nine minute video explaining a bit more about what the "Feminine Mystique" was (a quote from the book of the same name was included in the readings). If you missed class, or wanted to see it again, here it is: PBS.org - 1950 Housewives.

LIFE Magazines: The rest of class was spent doing some historical research in class, using actual magazines from the 1950s and early 1960s! I loved this so much! Here is the partner worksheet I passed out in class:


Needless to say, there were some GREAT examples of gender roles in the magazines, which I was able to borrow from the library - I'm glad everyone was so careful with them! It was so interesting to see what everyone found! I hope that it was as interesting for you as it was for me. History is so great! Next class, we will move on into the 1960s and the Space Race a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)